Current:Home > FinanceBuckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl' -WealthTrack
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-07 03:02:36
LONDON - Buckingham Palace said Friday it would investigate staff working for Britain's royal family following an after-party, which the Sun reported ended in a "punch-up" and "bar brawl."
Workers attended an early evening reception at Buckingham Palace before heading to a nearby bar to carry on the celebrations.
But their partying got out of hand, and police were called "after glasses were hurled and punches thrown," the Sun said.
Buckingham Palace said on Friday that palace officials were aware of an incident which had taken place outside the workplace following a reception at the official London residence of King Charles.
"While this was an informal social gathering, not an official Palace Christmas party, the facts will be fully investigated, with a robust disciplinary process followed in relation to individual staff and appropriate action taken," Buckingham Palace said in a statement.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Rough year for royals
News of the investigation comes against the backdrop of a tumultuous year for the royal family marked by illness and strained relations with Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan, who now reside in America.
Princess Kate announced earlier this year that she had been diagnosed with cancer, following a months-long public (and tabloid) fever about her whereabouts. After undergoing a course of preventative chemotherapy, the princess returned to royal duties, helping to share the workload with King Charles, who revealed his own cancer diagnosis in February, and Queen Camilla, who has been intermittently ill.
Princess Kate offers rare commenton 'challenging' year at Christmas concert
Meanwhile, across the pond, Harry and Meghan are locked in a number of legal battles with British publishers. The trial with Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers, whom they are suing over phone hacking and illegally obtaining medical records, is expected to kick off in the coming weeks.
Contributing: Anna Kaufman, USA TODAY
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (266)
Related
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Missing Arizona woman and her alleged stalker found dead in car: 'He scared her'
- US Sen. Bob Menendez of New Jersey is resigning from office following his corruption conviction
- As Georgia presses on with ‘Russia-style’ laws, its citizens describe a country on the brink
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- U.S. sprinter McKenzie Long runs from grief toward Olympic dream
- How Benny Blanco Celebrated Hottest Chick Selena Gomez on 32nd Birthday
- 'The Sopranos' star Drea de Matteo says teen son helps her edit OnlyFans content
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- With US vehicle prices averaging near $50K, General Motors sees 2nd-quarter profits rise 15%
Ranking
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Commission says New York judge should be removed over profane rant at graduation party
- Hailee Steinfeld and Josh Allen's Relationship Hard Launch Is a Total Touchdown
- Darren Walker, president of Ford Foundation, will step down by the end of 2025
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Score 75% Off Urban Outfitters, 50% Off Ulta, 65% Off Sur La Table & Today's Best Deals
- Simone Biles' husband, Jonathan Owens, will get to watch Olympics team, all-around final
- Tractor-trailer driver charged in fiery Ohio bus crash that killed 6
Recommendation
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
Body camera video shows Illinois deputy fatally shooting Sonya Massey inside her home
Psst! Banana Republic’s Summer Sale Is Full of Cute Workwear up to 60% Off, Plus 20% off Select Styles
LeBron James named Team USA's male flagbearer for Paris Olympics opening ceremony
What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
Here's what investors are saying about Biden dropping out — and what it means for your 401(k)
U.S. sprinter McKenzie Long runs from grief toward Olympic dream
Nordstrom Beauty Director Autumne West Shares Deals That Will Sell Out, Must-Haves & Trend Predictions